Saturday, July 31, 2010

Gold Airsoft Gun For Sale

iPhone and GPS tracking of the paths: one of my new blog about hiking in the Val Ceno

I started a new blog specific David Gallo - Tours Val Ceno (PR) - A contribution to "open" hiking near Bardi, using the automatic generation of the free software TrailRunnerX I'm talking about the end of this post .

I took inspiration from the initial project Orchid, born in a time when there was Google Maps and use GPS data was very complicated undertaking. The idea of \u200b\u200bOrchid was very good but inexplicably huge lead times, to date six years after they see the site only sketched and not working in many parts, made it a project obsolete because passed by all the technology "open" and "free" that have come in recent years. Too bad. Son also spent public money and I, like all other citizens of Italian and European citizens are contributing, I can not unfortunately use.

would be an excellent promotional tool for the brook, and if he had arrived in time but for now do not be surprised anymore. Clicking here you can read the details of the project and funding sources.

But the real encouragement I received from the site VALCENOTREK created for free by Giorgio Tanzi : simple, immediate, rich content and useful information. His choice of routes and notes are a treasure trove for those wishing to explore all corners of paradise found in the vicinity. I started as a user to download and use your GPX files go beyond the suggestions made by George on the use of GPS navigators, looking at how to use them on the iPhone. Beyond self-interest, and not having a potendomi hours allow the purchase of a real GPS hiking, I'm interested also spread more likely to have the trails due to the amount of people who own a mobile phone Apple.
I then went in search of all possible information on how to take advantage of the built-in tracking my iPhone to be able to record and make available to my frequent walks on a territory after more than five years beginning to know quite well, especially with regard to Lama's group.


At the moment mine is a 3G model so I can not take advantage of augmented reality giving way to all those who use the software and the compass 'tilt. But the internal GPS is used very well by several applications.
should be strictly said that an iPhone has a level of accuracy than GPS professional: in the woods I have a possibility of error from 15 to 30 meters while a good GPS usually does not exceed 5 / 10. But when you're reckless as I often do on a course unofficial and unknown, and no longer have any reference point (sometimes even the vaguest idea of \u200b\u200bwhere you are) I assure you that the various instruments of interactive maps of the iPhone become very useful. Not to mention the various App for tourist use and perfect for the city, all AroundMe .

I had already used RunKeeper to track some evening jog and the result was satisfactory. Suitable for jogging however, because it was linked to street maps from Google, with no possibility of inserting waypoints if not as a "break anonymity" in the race. Unfortunately the track was not exportable if not on their website and from there I could hardly pull the GPX file to edit. I recommend it anyway for the "runners" because it has good functions of performance statistics. But it's not exactly what I was looking for.


I tried and now excluded Snap + Map was nice because the idea of \u200b\u200bimporting their maps to geo-reference but then I discovered size limit actually linked to that of a picture. The attempt to load it into the detailed maps I had in my file format has been very disappointing, because of the inability to see them in an accurate and legible.


Then starting with recommendations read in various forums I tried Route Buddy Atlas, which also offers software for Mac management maps, data, etc. ... $ 99.50 Costa well and the maps are all to download and pay for through a real store is accessible via the internet, both from Mac and iPhone. maps are perfect and exceptional quality, but on Europe and Italy are not very detailed because the online store is very focused on U.S. and Canada . The iPhone application is still free and I tried it: a little effort 'to connect to satellites and consumes lot of battery power, a factor to keep in mind because in my testing I could not even use it 2 hours and then I had to turn to Do not miss the way I had recorded. A little 'bit for a decent walk.


very interesting and comprehensive GPS MotionX with the only flaw of a massive use of battery. Fully exploits, for those who have the 3Gs or 4, the accelerometer and all the tools of detection. I still want to investigate it because I have the feeling of not using it fully in all its possibilities.


My first tracks recorded in a complete and satisfactory I have made EasyTrails . Consumes little battery even if it gave me problems of loss of signal during recording in the background (display off) and then I found some gaps in the tracks that I then had to edit. But they are not able to record waypoints can be exported. I see them in the application but then not haunt them in the exported files, and then I can not record or indication of the junctions on the stages reached.


tracks recorded I then edited with TrailRunnerX , a free software for Mac (Windows is rather SportTracks ). You can edit the individual points, to correct the paths is on a topographic base, both on a satellite photo on Google Maps, both with a base OpenStreetMaps on their routes which will be exported once published with the automatic "public a blog ( click here to see an example of one of my tracks ). The functions are very many and very immediate.
To verify the functions of importing and exporting with the iPhone I discovered full compatibility TRAILS and the next trip I'll try to use it.


last thing: I find it very useful use an armband to bring your own device. Before all because in order to receive the signal must always be well exposed (formerly the thick cover of some woods funnels or rocks are a problem) and hold it for as long as is not the best, with the risk to keep it in incorrectly, and to lower the GPS reception. And then also to protect it. I I bought an Apple Store that works really well. Breathable and washable, with a clear plastic shield that still allows you to use all the features touch without any problems. Even when you're sweaty and breathless after a steep climb ...
The next purchase will be an additional battery and if I found a smart solution for solar cells to recharge I would be very happy.
But I will write a separate post on the subject.


0 comments:

Post a Comment